Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Presenting “The World of Bats”


Welcome to winter! Southern hemisphere winter, that is. June 1 (last Friday) was the first day of winter here. It’s starting to feel like it too. While it won’t get nearly as cold as it does back home in Ohio (and no snow here either, what a bummer), I almost feel colder here. I think it’s because Australian buildings tend to have less insulation and lots of places don’t have central heating. That means you’re left bundling up in five layers just to stay warm in your own home. Chris and I have a space heater in our room, but it doesn’t keep the kitchen/dining area warm, especially since one of the windows has a broken pane of glass and it lets drafts in. Burrr. Also, I didn’t bring any of my warm winter coats here, or my boots, so I feel less prepared clothes-wise for the chilliness. It’s also been quite rainy and dreary here the past few weeks, which I don’t like. If it’s going to be cold, I’d rather it be cold and snowy than cold and wet (aka miserable).

Anyway, it’s (again) been a busy past few weeks. Two weeks ago I gave bat presentations to six classes at one of the local primary schools. The classes ranged from Receptions (kindergarten) through Year 6. For the older kids I gave my “standard” bat presentation on PowerPoint that included some bat myths (like bats are blind (ALL bats can see) or that all bats suck blood (only 3 of about 1,200 species in the world are vampire bats and eat blood)), cool bat facts (like the largest bat has a wingspan of six feet, the smallest bat (the Bumblebee Bat) weighs less than a penny, or that some bats can eat up to their body weight in insects in one night), and pictures of some weird bats. We then made the brown paper bag bat puppets that I first took down to the school kids in Texas. I had a bit of trouble finding the materials for them, as brown paper lunch bags are shaped differently here in Australia. They were missing the flap at the bottom like lunch bags in the US have. That made it a bit more difficult to prepare, as the flap served as the head of the bat. I had to improvise and finally figured out a way to fold the bags to make them work. I was a bit worried that the Year 6 students might be a little old (aka “too cool”) for making puppets, but they all got excited when I showed what we were making, and by the end of the day the new students filing into the classroom would excitedly ask if they were making bat puppets. Several of the teachers asked for the puppet design afterwards and said they wanted to make them with their other classes. So I guess they were a big hit!

Bat Girl talks about bats! Wearing my bat hat generously gifted to me by Jed Burtt, North American bats t-shirt, and bat cape.

One of the paper bag bat puppets. Who WOULDN’T  want one?

With the students making bat puppets.

For the younger kids I tweaked the PowerPoint presentation a bit to make it more basic. They still LOVED the pictures of weird bats. Chris, my lovely assistant, and I did a demonstration of echolocation by clapping our hands Marco-Polo style until I (the bat) found him (the insect) in his hiding spot. The kids really got a kick out of that too. It was great because most of the teachers had had a lesson on bats before I came (including reading the book Stellaluna and explaining the differences between microbats and megabats), so many of the students could answer the questions I brought up. I think a lesson on bats should be part of every classroom. After the presentation and echolocation demonstration, we made our own “bat habitats” by drawing trees, caves, lakes/streams, and bats on paper. It was really funny because Chris drew his bat habitat up on the classroom whiteboard so the kids could see what to do, and instead of drawing a very simple bat to get the idea across, he drew a fairly anatomically correct bat. This left some of the kids, one boy in particular, taking the entire time trying to draw the bat EXACTLY HOW CHRIS DREW IT. It’s amazing how simple you have to make things for young kids. At least that boy went away with a very good drawing of a bat!

Each class was 30 minutes long, and we were there from 9:00am to 3:00pm (with several breaks in between classes). Despite the small breaks, it was EXHAUSTING to be on my feet and talking for that long! I really have to take my hat off to teachers who do it every day. Kudos to them! 

My lovely assistant, Chris, working on his bat habitat masterpiece, bent on confusing the kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment