Monday, July 2, 2012

The Epic Car Saga Over (?)


Several blog posts ago I mentioned that I had gotten my car back from Adelaide, but that nothing could be as easy as it should be. The final chapter in the car saga entailed a broken/leaking power steering hose (it had rubbed up against the fan belt when Chris’ mom drove my car back here and by the time it got back it was completely worn through) and a leaking transmission which took THREE attempts to fix. After having my car towed by the RAA (Australian equivalent of AAA) to an RAA-certified mechanic in town to get the power steering hose fixed, the transmission messed up while driving the car back home and I had to have it towed in AGAIN. All was well and good after the second trip, when the mechanics “fixed” the transmission problem, until Chris and I got to Adelaide. Two days after the mechanics fixed the problem, I tried to drive to the airport to pick up Sarah (my roommate from Ohio Wesleyan) and got one street down from Chris’s house before the car completely conked out. There was no transmission fluid left. Luckily Steve, who had fixed my car after the kangaroo incident, was there and he found the real leaks and fixed them. Hopefully now I won’t have any more problems! I’m definitely going to keep an eye on the fluid levels very regularly. I’m crossing my fingers it works because Sarah and I are heading to Melbourne in two days!

Getting my car towed the first time.

Getting my car towed the second time.

On a very unrelated note, Chris and I attended a few talks at the Mt. Gambier Library as part of Environmental Month, and we got to see some cool Australian wildlife!

Me with an Australian Black-headed Python during a wildlife presentation at the Mt. Gambier Library.


6 comments:

  1. That Australian Black-headed Python scared the heck out of me! It’s pretty cool that you had the guts to have it rest around your neck. Hmm, it isn’t always a pleasant sight to see your car getting towed away, but it is a good thing you had yours towed for repairs. It seems that you even had a test run when you picked up Sarah from the airport! How's the car now, BTW?

    [Isabella Pospisil]

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snake was very gentle, so I wasn't worried! The car has been running well. It got me back from Adelaide and to and from Melbourne this weekend. Hopefully it will keep on chugging (fingers crossed)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was twice in a span of two days! Good thing Steve was able to identify the source of the leak and do some amazing patched-up job! How is your Melbourne trip? Did the car show some signs of leaks or any other issues? Just remember that if you are going to take your car for a long drive, be sure that you take it to a qualified mechanic first for some inspection. This is to secure the safety of the car and if it is capable to take long trips and journeys.

    -Michelina Douglass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelina, I was very thankful that Steve could help. The car has been running well. I've been checking the fluid levels often and of course before long trips. I'll be selling the car in the next month (as I return to the US at the end of October) so hopefully somebody will need a cheap used car!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can’t imagine what it must have felt for you, having to face that problem twice! Why did the problem keep recurring if the mechanic had fixed it? Maybe you should go to a more reliable mechanic next time. Anyway, do you still drive the car? I hope it’s running better now.


    @Tyra Shortino

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tyra,
    I'm not sure what exactly happened, but eventually it was all fixed so that's what matters! :) I moved back to the US at the end of October so I sold the car before then. Hopefully it'll run smoothly from now on!

    ReplyDelete