Saturday, August 11, 2012

Worm-lizard Survey

Last week I took a little “break” from bat work and headed to Mt. Gambier to help Cath and Alix, a student from the University of Queensland, with a worm-lizard project. Several months ago Cath left her role as Regional Ecologist at DEWNR and helped found a not-for-profit environmental organization, Nature Glenelg Trust. The group supports and undertakes conservation and ecology research, provides environmental consultancy, and engages in nature restoration and protection activities. The project I helped with was a survey for worm-lizards (Aprasia sp.). We spent three days driving around the area (including lots of pine plantations owned by Forestry SA) and laying out grids of 50 roof tiles each in habitats similar to the habitats in which the worm-lizards had previously been found. The tiles will hopefully attract the Worm-lizards so that when the tiles are checked in six to eight weeks we find lots of them! Although the study won’t be statistically significant (mainly due to a lack of replicates), it will hopefully shed some light on where the worm-lizards are, which habitat type(s) they might prefer, and if they’re even in the area.

The days were long (I’m not used to getting up so early!) and the tiles got quite heavy after awhile, but it was a blast. I enjoyed helping with a project focused on another group of animal besides bats. In the three days we laid out 10 grids, for a total of 500 tiles. My muscles sure got a workout! We also got to check some tiles that were already out, and we found some pretty neat critters underneath them. We found lots of really nasty-looking centipedes, some Little Whip Snakes, and several skinks under the tiles. We also found a juvenile Eastern Brown Snake, which is considered the second most venomous snake in the world. Don’t worry, it’s winter here and the reptiles are quite cold and sluggish, so when we turned the tile over the snake barely moved. Also, Cath told Alix and me that if there’s a snake under a tile when you lift it, even in summer, the snake is quite stunned and will often just lay there without moving.

One of the perks of helping Cath with the project was the fact that I got to stay at her place for a few days. That meant I got to eat her delicious cooking and make pumpkin pie with her. Alix liked the pumpkin pie (my grandma’s recipe) so much that she asked for the recipe. Good cooking Grandma! I also got to watch TV, which has turned into a novelty for me. Although I do have a TV in my room at Wirreanda that used to get about eight channels, it now only gets three channels, none of which have much good on. The Olympics are on right now, so after work we’d sit and eat pumpkin pie while watching the games. It’s been quite an interesting experience being in another country during a worldwide competition like the Olympics. Of course I still “root for” the US athletes, but I also find myself supporting the Australian athletes too. However, when it comes down to it and both the Americans and Australians are competing in the same game, I still (usually) root for the Americans. I’ve noticed that the Australian media only covers the games in which Australians are competing. It’s been awhile since I’ve watched the Olympics back home and I don’t remember if that’s how it is in the US, but I wish they’d cover more than just those games. They also tend to cover only the Australian athletes and maybe a few others in the same competition. It’s kind of a letdown! Also, the media here puts A LOT of pressure on the country’s athletes. Before every competition the broadcasters say things along the lines of “We’re sure to win this one” or “She’s on her way to gold”, like they definitely expect them to win. There sure is a lot of emphasis on winning gold! Sorry Australia, but you’re not even coming close. As of today the US has the most gold medals (44), and the most medals in total (102), of all the countries. Australia has seven gold medals, making it tenth in the gold medal standings. You’ve got a lot of catching up to do!

 A Veined Helmet-orchid (Corybas diemenicus).

We saw a lot of this in the three days driving through the Forestry SA lands.  

 Alix, Cath, and I decked out in our hi-vis vests and safety helmets (Australians sure do take health and safety seriously!).

 A full-grown Little Whip Snake (Rhinoplocephalus flagellum). They are quite small!

One of many large centipedes we found under the tiles. They will give a nasty bite if you get too close.  

 Two Little Whip Snakes under a tile.

 An Eastern Ctenotus (Ctenotus orientalist), a type of skink.

A juvenile Eastern Brown Snake (Pseudonaja textilis). This snake is considered the second most venomous snake in the world, behind the taipan. 

  Me holding the Brown Snake. Haha, just kidding. I'm only holding a skink.

There are some really funny road signs at Bool Lagoon. This one says:
ATTENTION HUMANS: Drive slowly. Tortoises crossing the road. Thank you.
ATTENTION TORTOISES: Stretch out neck. Look both ways for speeding cars. Cross the road when safe. Good tortoise.

This one says:
ATTENTION HUMANS: Drive slowly. Frogs crossing the road. Thank you.
ATTENTION FROGS: Leap, ribbit, jump, croak. Watch out for speeding cars. Good frog.

A beautiful sunset over Bool Lagoon.


4 comments:

  1. Kristen, I just listened to your interview, and I literally laughed until I cried. I dunno... the accent... the guy calling you a bat lady... flippin hilarious. Miss you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm glad you liked it so much. :P Did you mean I have an accent or he did? I was sick that week so sounded pretty terrible...Miss you tons too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen! I just came across your blog by accident searching google for Bool Lagoon info. :) Great blog, miss seeing you and Chris around the place, cafe still bringing in the tourists. Cave tours and visitors to park and cafe way up. Best year ever I think.
    Hope all is going great for you, happy new year!
    Big hugs
    Kasia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kasia,
    It's great to hear from you! I miss coming to the cafe and chatting with you. It's great here but I do miss Australia. Hopefully I can come back someday! :) I hope you're enjoying the busy pace and having a fantastic new year!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete