Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Baking Extravaganza

Chris and I spent the day today baking treats to take to his family for Christmas. I have discovered that while I’m not yet a fan of actual cooking, I quite enjoy baking. We made my Nana’s burnt sugar sour cream cookies (which I haven’t had since she passed away when I was 12; see recipe below), regular chocolate fudge and caramel chocolate fudge, and chocolate chip cookies. 

 A sample of the result of our day-long baking session (the chocolate chip cookies are hiding). 

We made everything from scratch except the chocolate chips cookies (we bought the dough pre-made at the store). I wanted to get those Pilsbury sugar cookies that come in a tube, the ones with the Christmas trees on them, but apparently they don’t sell those hear. What a horrible day when I found that out...

Burnt Sugar Sour Cream Cookies
Beat well together 1 stick salted butter, 1 ½ cups light brown sugar and two eggs.  Add 1 cup sour cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Beat in a little at a time of 2 ¾ cups flour and ½ teaspoon EACH baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Drop by teaspoon fulls onto cookie sheet.  Bake at 350°F (~180°C) about 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown.  Make icing using 1 stick salted butter - heat until brown.  Add 2 cups confectioner's sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Beat until spreading consistency. Add hot water bit by bit if you need to thin it out any.  Ice the cookies and enjoy! 

Our only real mishap was when I ran out of the icing I had made for the sour cream cookies. Chris valiantly volunteered to make more with the leftover butter and confectioner’s sugar. However, things didn’t turn out quite like they were supposed to. The result was basically toffee/brittle and was DEFINITELY unusable as icing. Ah well, we have another tasty (albeit accidental) treat to take to his family!

 Chris’s attempt at making more burnt sugar icing...

No comments:

Post a Comment