Saturday, December 17, 2011

Stars are bright / Trees are green / Christmas is coming / And my knee is clean!

Christmas is almost upon us! Last week Chris and I went Christmas shopping. We visited Trev’s, a super awesome bargain store that has pretty much anything you could ever want. We got a cheap $10 mini-Christmas tree (it stands about chest high on me), some generic ornaments, lights, and garland/tinsel.

A few days later, we spent the evening putting everything up. My mom had sent me some ornaments in the mail: a Grinch ornament that says “‘Maybe Christmas,’ he thought, ‘doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas—perhaps—means a little bit more!’”, an ornament with “snow” in it that says “The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow gave a luster of mid-day to objects below”, and a Dorothy (from The Wizard of Oz) ornament that says “There’s no place like home.” Aww. Chris’s mom also sent me three Aussie ornaments: a kangaroo, a koala, and a kookaburra. I’m finally starting my own ornament collection! Chris made tea and we listened to streaming Christmas music online on Warm98, a radio station I used to listen to back home in Cincinnati, while we decorated. I did miss the tradition of putting the tree up with my mom, but for a moment it felt almost just like home. Until I went outside the next day and it was in the 90s...
 
Our tree, fully decorated and with presents waiting to be opened.

All lit up!

 
 Our Christmas photo :)

Last Wednesday we went to the Naracoorte Caves Christmas dinner at Billy Mac’s in the Naracoorte Hotel. Most of the park staff was there, and it was great to see everyone out of their work gear and celebrating the holidays. We did a Kris Kringle (aka Secret Santa) gift exchange. I got echidna earrings from the park gift shop (yay!) and Chris got a water gun (oh no!). For dinner I ordered the Scotch steak, my first steak since I was 10 years old. It was mighty delicious! 

At the Naracoorte Caves Christmas party
 
On another good note, I had an appointment with a doctor last week and she said my knee x-rays and ultrasound images look good, and that there are no fractures or tears visible. I still have occasional slight pain in it, especially when twisting certain ways or kneeling, but for the most part it’s great. I’ll probably still wear a brace at times just to help it, but it’s nice to finally KNOW that there’s nothing majorly wrong with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment