Friday, March 9, 2012

I'm still here, don't worry!

Just a quick hello from Australia! I'm sorry for the lack of posts recently. It's been a super busy past few weeks with my mom's/aunt's visit, getting back into Girl Guides and spin and dance class, giving some bat presentations to the local high school classes, and trying to catch up with work. It seems like the bats MAY be beginning their migration to their over-wintering sites, although it is a bit early for that. Last year they left around mid-May. However, it's been quite cool at night and there haven't been many insects around, and the bats did come back to Bat Cave a bit early this past spring, so perhaps they are starting to leave. I haven't finished running counts from the past few nights, but the lengths of the emergences have gone down (normally it takes about 1 1/2 hours for all the bats to leave the cave, but recently they've taken less than an hour) and the peak emergence rate seems to have dropped also. We'll see. Hopefully I'll have accurate numbers soon. And don't worry, I'll write a post about my visit with my mom and aunt (and other happenings) soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment