Friday, February 17, 2012

A Bit of Local Flavor


Sorry it’s been so long since my last post. I’ve been busy this week with analyzing emergence counts, writing my abstract for the Australasian Bat Society Conference in April, and other such things. But before this weekend, when Chris and I are going to Warrnambool, Victoria to do a bat count at Starlight Cave (the only other maternity cave of Southern Bent-wing Bats), I wanted to write about my exciting escapades last weekend!

The fun of the weekend began on Friday night, when Chris and I went to the outdoor movie, “Puss in Boots,” at the Naracoorte Showgrounds. A bunch of families and teens gathered for the evening, and of course there was lots of yummy food and drink, like sausages, donuts, pancakes, hot chocolate, and the BEST chai lattes I’ve ever had (all of which Chris and I got over the course of the evening). Chris and I set up our blanket near the screen and waited until dark for the movie to start. Neither of us had seen the movie before, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I especially loved the part when kitten Puss stepped out from behind his mother’s apron and gave his big, doe-eyed look, which received a collected “Aww” from all the girls in the crowd (I’m guilty too). The movie ended around 10:00pm, when we headed to the newly-opened McDonalds (or Maccas according to Aussies) for milkshakes. I discovered that strawberry might actually be my favorite flavor now!

On Saturday we headed into the Naracoorte town square for the Taste of the Limestone Coast Festival. The festival hosted many booths from local wineries, and of course the chai latte cart was back again! That made my third chai latte for the weekend. Chris and I walked around tasting wines (for $5 we each bought a glass so we could get all the free wine tastes we wanted) and ended up buying two bottles: a Riesling and a sparkling Pinot Gris. Now we have some wine for those special occasions when we have people over (a.k.a. pretty much never).

We left the festival at 3:30pm and went back to the park to volunteer for the “Opera in the Caves” concert. This is an annual event held in Blanche Cave that features young singers (they were in their 20s) from Opera Scholars Australia. Blanche Cave provides a fantastic setting for the performance, as the cathedral ceiling provides such fantastic sound quality that the singers need no amplification. Because the event is organized by the Young at Heart Holidays, Australian Air Holidays, and Seniors Coach Tours, most of the attendees were elderly. Chris and I helped guide them down the stairs into the cave before the event, which earned us free admission. The event was sold out (over 240 people attended) so we had to listen from the entrance stairs, but the sound from there was great and we had an awesome view of the candlelit cave and the stage. The performers sang pieces from classic operas like La Traviata and The Phantom of the Opera. Their voices were amazing and made me quite jealous of their singing talent. 

Beautiful dresses and killer heels. If anyone was going to fall down the stairs, it would be one of the girls in their heels, not one of the elderly attendees.

The beautifully lit cave and the singing group on stage.

After the opera, Chris and I went back into town for some groceries and to take some pictures of the Taste Festival (I had forgotten to while there). While taking pictures we got to witness the end result of the festival: drunken dancing and past-tipsy girls hooting and hollering in the streets (and remember, the drinking age here is 18). Looks like we missed out on the fun!

On Sunday afternoon we attended my very first horse race, complete with betting, fancy fascinators, and lots of alcohol. I donned my nature-themed outfit for the Fashions on the Field competition, and Chris provided moral support by dressing up in his nice suit pants and pinstripe vest.

Butterfly belt, bat fascinator, zebra striped purse, bat bracelet, and flower necklace and ring completed my nature theme.

It was a gorgeous day for being outside: partly cloudy, upper 70s, occasional slight breeze. The races were held at the Naracoorte Racecourse, which of course made walking around in heels (albeit quite thick and short heels) a challenge. But if other women could do it and look graceful and elegant, so could I! Our first stop was the Fashions on the Field table, where I registered for the Best Dressed competition and conned Chris into doing the Best Dressed Couple competition with me. We then set up our picnic blanket on the lawn and watched a few races before the fashion competitions began. Chris put a $2 bet on Tonto’s Pride, and I put a $2 bet each on Koban (because he was #3, my lucky number) and Peace An Quiet (because I liked the name). It really is fun to watch horse racing, especially when you have money in the outcome. Chris’s horse came in first, so he won $19. My horses came in second and third, but unfortunately I had stupidly bought “win only” bets and not “place” bets, or something like that. So I didn’t win anything. Bummer. But Chris was kind enough to buy me an ice cream and another of those delicious chai lattes (my fourth of the weekend!) with his winnings.

Go horses, go!

After the excitement of the racing, we gathered for the excitement of the fashion competition. The Best Dressed Couple heat was up first. Of course Chris and I had been the first to register, so we were the first ones called to the stage. When our names were called we walked hand-in-hand up on stage and took our positions. I was actually a bit nervous, and I know Chris was too! When we had registered we were one of only two couples that were going to compete, but by the competition time there were seven couples. Unfortunately we didn’t win, but we did have a great time. Well, at least I did!

Handsome Chris all decked out in his race day finest.

 The Best Dressed Couple competition. Chris and I are at the far end.

The Best Dressed competition was up next. I was #15, so at least I had some time to see what we were supposed to do once we took the stage. Again, I was a bit nervous, like I always get before any public appearance. When my name was called, I took the stage, walked down the runway to center stage, waited while the photographer took my picture, and continued walking to my spot. Of course I ended up at the end of the line again. Ugh. I was within a few meters of the judges, and I could hear them talking about each girl as she took the stage. “Ooh, that’s a nice outfit,” or “No, that’s too gaudy,” were some of the things they said. I tried to tune them out. When they announced the winners, I wasn’t surprised when I didn’t win. The winner was from Melbourne or Adelaide (some far away city) and had been in about four other Fashions on the Field competitions before. I hadn’t expected to win, but of course I was still a bit disappointed. But at least I had a blast and thoroughly enjoyed participating in a local event and getting all dressed up for the day! And now I have an awesome bat fascinator that I can wear with pride (although when I’m not sure).

At the far end of the line.

Watching the winner get her sash. You can see my cool bat fascinator too!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment