Thursday, February 9, 2012

Terns, Brits, and Fashion

This past week has been a whirlwind of activity, and it’s only going to get busier! Last Saturday, Chris and I joined Cath for another Fairy Tern survey along the coast. If you remember, this was what I was doing when I fell and hurt my knee back in November, and it was in the same place. I hate to admit it, but I was a bit nervous thinking about the accident and hoping it wouldn’t happen again. Chris and I met Cath at the Canunda National Park station in Southend, South Australia at 10:00am. It was a PERFECT day for a hike along the coast: partly cloudy, about 80°F, with an occasional slight breeze. These surveys are run by the South Australian Department of Environment and Natural Resources, and each team gets a stretch of coast to survey. We got a beautiful 13km stretch along the coastal cliffs and deep blue ocean running beside the park. The route wasn’t difficult, but did have a few hills here and there, and plenty of loose sand to scramble up. We went by the little ditch in which I slipped and twisted my knee last time. I swear it was bigger before!

The infamous ditch that caused all my problems. It doesn’t look that bad in the picture, but it IS bigger in real life!

We saw a tern (but couldn’t identify it to species, as we only glimpsed it), and it was either a Fairy Tern (Sterna nereis nereis; an endangered species) or a Little Tern (Sterna albifrons sinensis). Yay for our good sighting! Cath promised $1 million to whoever saw the first wader, and luckily that was me with a Red-capped Plover (Charadrius ruficapillus). I doubt I will ever collect on Cath’s promise, but at least I got bragging rights. Along the way we also found patches of Muntries (Kunzea pomifera), a ground-hugging native plant of south east South Australia. The bushes have lovely berries on them that are sweet and slightly salty, kind of like salty strawberries. We collected a bag of them so I could take them home and make jam, although they are still sitting on my table and have probably gone bad by now...Cath also showed us a few more edible plants (real bushtucker!) including Pigface (Carpobrotus rossii), another native plant with very salty fleshy leaves.

A breathtaking view.

 
We stopped for lunch on a lovely sandy beach at our halfway point after 2 ½ hours of walking. Unfortunately we were also joined by a band of pesky biting flies, which took every opportunity to attempt to feed from our legs and arms. I shared my Fluffernutter sandwich with Cath, as she loves sweet and salty combinations and was absolutely amazed when I first introduced her to this sandwich a few weeks ago. For those of you who are not familiar with this wonderful culinary creation, a Fluffernutter is peanut butter (for this, regular peanut butter is best, not organic or natural) and marshmallow fluff/cream on bread (preferably white bread). One of the best food combinations ever! After lunch we strolled along the beach to look for more birds, and found a dead prion, a type of seabird. I had never heard of this type of bird, which is similar to a petrel. We’re not sure what it died from, as there were no obvious injuries.

The dead prion.

As we continued back, I couldn’t help but admire how blue the ocean was. At one point I was standing on a cliff overlooking a beachy alcove, when I saw what looked like a black garbage bag floating along the shoreline. Then I realized it was moving through the water along the beach. It was a stingray! There were two of them, and it was so neat to see them in the wild. Although not so neat to realize they really do swim right along the shoreline...

My stingray sighting!

Wombat hole. Still no actual wombat sighting...

And wombat poop. They have cubic poop. How cool!

All the crushed shells are there from when the coastal Aborigines used the area as a shelling area.

We finally made it back to the station around 4:45pm, and had a refreshing ice cream on the beach and a quick step into the water (the water is WAY too cold to swim in without a wetsuit, at least in my opinion!). My legs were sore, I had a horrible sunburn on the backs of my legs and also a horrible sock tan, and I felt like I could curl up right there on the beach and sleep for days, but it was an amazing day in an amazing part of South Australia.

Cath and I cooling our feet off in the frigid water after our long hike.

Despite my exhaustion, the weekend had only just begun. On Sunday, the BBC arrived to film their documentary about the influence of size on how animals survive and about the physics of life. They’ve filmed great white sharks, kangaroos, and another animal I can’t remember in Australia, and now they were here to film the bats in the park. Their main focus was on the fact that bats are small and therefore have a high metabolism, and that they also lose a lot of body heat due to their large surface area to volume ratio. The crew also wanted to talk about echolocation and torpor. They were filming two versions of the same documentary, one with the narrator (physicist Professor Brian Cox, who has worked at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland) talking to the camera, and one with interviews of a bat expert (in this case, Steve Bourne). On Sunday night the crew, which consisted of the actor/narrator, the script guy, two sound guys, two cameramen, and the safety officer (I think), set up red lights over the cave entrance to film the emergence. They also interviewed Steve about how Anabats (acoustic detectors that pick up bats’ echolocation calls) work and filmed my thermal imaging cameras at work (no, I was not in the shots). It was a very, very cold night (unusually so for February, which is supposed to be the hottest month of the year here) so the bats came out early and fast, probably because there are fewer insects out when it’s cold and the bats need as much time as possible to get enough food throughout the night. It was amazing to see the bats lit up red against the cave entrance, and to witness all the thought and detail that goes into making a documentary (or any film). At times the “actor,” Brian, acted like a typical actor (like when the script guy was fiddling with something and made a loud “click” while Brian was talking on camera, and Brian snapped, “Could we PLEASE not fiddle with things while I’m talking? It’s been a long day sitting in the car, I’m tired, and I want to get this done.”). Haha, I had to keep myself from laughing out loud at the silliness of it all.

Monday was another day of filming, and again I set up the thermal imaging camera for them to film. I also showed them some recorded video of inside the cave (taken by the infrared cameras), which they also filmed. It was another long night, but I’m glad I got to witness everything that goes into a film production. What a crazy job!

Two lights with red filters set up at the cave entrance.

Taking pictures of Brian Cox.

 The cameraman shooting the beginning of the emergence.

I love Brian in the background at the beginning saying, “Could we just have it quiet please. Please, could we have silence, complete silence for five minutes.” And I also love the big microphone that comes into the video.

Now Chris and I are preparing for another crazy weekend. Tonight (Friday) we’re going to the outdoor showing of the movie “Puss in Boots” at the Naracoorte Showgrounds. Then tomorrow we’re heading to the town square for the annual Taste of the Limestone Coast festival. The festival will feature local wineries, local food vendors, art groups, and musicians. In the evening we’re going to the Opera in the Caves, which is put on by an opera singing group and is hosted in the park inside Blanche Cave. Apparently the acoustics are great and the decorations are beautiful. Chris and I are going to volunteer to help the elderly patrons down the stairs into the cave, which will earn us two free seats at the opera. Then on Sunday we’re going to the Mini Jumbuk Naracoorte Cup horse race. There I will make my fashion debut for the Fashions on the Field fashion competition. I’ve decided that I want to participate as much as possible in local events, so I’m going to enter the fashion competition. I hate to admit but I am getting a little nervous, mostly because I don’t know what to expect. Of course I’m not expecting to win, but it will be a blast and I’ll be able to look back and say, “I did that!” I have a $20 blue dress from Target (on sale!), a red butterfly belt, some local jewelry with silver flowers, and a bat fascinator that I bought online on Etsy.com. I’m going with a nature theme to represent the park and the bats. Stay tuned for a recap of the weekend’s adventures!

That will be me up on stage this weekend. Bring it on!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment