Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Publishing Articles and Giving Bat Talks


In other good news, I’ve had a bit of professional success lately. A few weeks ago Dr. Charles Brown, a professor at the University of Tulsa and the advisor I worked under as a summer research assistant in Nebraska in 2008, emailed me with a draft of a manuscript he and one of his students have been working on. The manuscript, which is about net avoidance in cliff swallows, is based off the independent project Ananda Ellis and I did as assistants back in 2008 and that I presented at the American Ornithologists’ Union meeting in 2009. As such, I will be a co-author on the paper. My first academic paper in a scientific journal! Charles has submitted it to the journal PLoS ONE, so keep your fingers crossed that it will be accepted and published soon!

I was also asked by Steve Bourne to write an article about my research on the Southern Bent-wing Bat for the Journal of the Australasian Cave and Karst Management Association. I have just submitted the article so will soon have another published paper (although this one will be less “scientific” and will also include information about my community outreach projects here in Naracoorte). In addition to the ACKMA journal article, another article about my Fulbright project was published in Issue 36 of the Fulbright U.S. Student Grantee Newsletter last week. This newsletter features articles written by current U.S. Fulbright Scholars abroad and is a great way to learn about other scholars’ projects. Here’s a link to my article, titled “Going Batty in Oz: Conservation of the Critically Endangered Southern Bent-wing Bat in South Australia”:

Fulbright U.S. Student Grantee Newsletter, Issue 36, March 2012 

I have also been fortunate enough to have another radio interview with the ABC South East SA, this time for the Saturday morning program with Lucy Richards. It was quite funny because when I spoke with Ms. Richards about doing the interview, I wrote down I had to be ready at 6:45am on Saturday (she would call me on my phone and we’d do the interview live over the phone). However, for some reason I swear she had said to be ready by 5:45am, despite the fact that I’d written 6:45am. So just to be safe, I got up at 5:15 that morning. Of course the interview time was 6:45, so I had to sit around waiting for an hour, which just made me even more nervous. Ah well, I think it went fairly well, especially since it was my first live radio interview. 


In more community outreach happenings, I was asked by DENR to give several bat presentations to the students at the Naracoorte High School. Of course I said yes! I love talking about bats to people, especially students. I presented to four Year 9 classes over two days in early March. It was perfect timing because the students were beginning their unit on ecology, so my presentation fit right in. I focused on bat diversity and how they help the ecosystem, as well as presented information on bats and bat habitat right here in Naracoorte. The kids seemed very interested (they especially liked when I showed them the taxidermy-preserved Southern Bent-wing Bat) and they asked lots of questions. I had a great time presenting and I’m hoping to do some more coming up!







No comments:

Post a Comment