Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Being a Tourist in My Own Town


On Sunday I joined my friend Amber and her family and about 60 other citizens of Naracoorte in being tourists for the day. The occasion was the opening of the two new town entrances. In keeping with the Naracoorte Caves entrance and the fact that the caves are a big tourist attraction, the new entrances focused on the megafauna found in the caves. The north town entrance, where the opening ceremony was held, was a steel sculpture of the skeleton of a Diprotodon (Giant Wombat). The southern entrance was two steel sculptures of the skeletons of two Thylacoleo (Marsupial Lions).

About 60 people gathered in the BEAUTIFUL weather for the unveiling of the Diprotodon. The local Scout group (not to be confused with Boy and Girl Scouts in the US) and several key Naracoorte citizens helped pull off the sheet covering the sculpture. It was neat to be part of a significant local event like that.

After the unveiling everyone piled into their cars and drove out to the caves for afternoon tea and a free cave tour. Amber and I stopped at the Thylacoleo sculptures to get our picture taken. Then we headed out to the caves. The café was crowded with everyone wanting the warm homemade scones with jam and cream (yum!). One (of many) things the Caves Café does well is making delicious unique food, made with local and often home-grown ingredients. Their scones are one of my favorite things. The café also has an attached gift shop, which is going to be my downfall as I prepare to go home. There are so many neat things in there, like bat paraphernalia and local arts and crafts, that the temptation is just too much. But I figure I’ve been living here and been a part of this community for over a year, and my time here has been one of the most special times in my life, so I don’t feel too bad getting a few nice things that I will cherish forever. 

Waiting for the unveiling of the Diprotodon (known as the Giant Wombat) sculpture.. 

In front of the Diprotodon sculpture.   

 Amber and me with the Thylacoleo (Marsupial Lion) sculptures. 

 Welcome to Naracoorte, Home of World Heritage fossil caves.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete