Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fishes, Vicious, Wishes


Well the conference is over and I’m in the Aggtelek Nemzeti Park (Aggtelek National Park) for two days. Sándor, who works for the park and who also attended the conference, drove me up here today. We stopped by a grocery store on the outskirts of Miskolc to pick up some food for me for breakfasts and dinners. As we got farther from the city the villages became smaller and smaller. The nearest village (where Sándor lives) is inside the park and has a population of 200. We drove by the last horse-drawn cart in town. This sure is a different world! I’m staying in the hotel in the park, which is in the Swiss style and is absolutely beautiful. Since it’s the off season I am the only guest here now, so I have the whole place to myself! For the next two days Sándor will take me around the area to see several bat roosting sites, including some in caves, mines, and churches. I can’t wait!

 
The view from my hotel room in the Aggtelek National Park.

 The entrance to the hotel.

Now for a recap of the conference. It began on Friday afternoon with a fieldtrip to two caves in the Bükk Mountains. I joined 15 other participants in front of the main building of the university and we headed off on a small bus to the first cave. The entrance to the cave was quite a hike up a big hill, and I was exhausted by the end of the climb! The forest was very much like forests in Ohio or other parts of the US. It felt and smelled much more like home than Australian forests. Once at the entrance we learned about the cave and the bats that occupy it. Most of the others spoke English to some degree, except for several of the older folks. However, the presenter spoke in Hungarian first and then someone translated into English. We learned that there used to be thousands of Miniopterus schreibersii (of which the Southern Bent-wing Bat is a subspecies) and Horseshoe Bats (Rhinolophus sp.) in the cave, but in the 1980s some vandals disturbed the cave and the Miniopterus never came back. Now there are only a few bats in the cave. We got to go inside and look around (without helmets because as the leader said “This is not America”). The second chamber was very large and beautiful, with the highest point at 21 meters. We saw several bat species: Miniopterus schreibersii, Mediterranean Horseshoe Bats (Rhinolophus euryale), Greater Horseshoe Bats (Rhinolophus ferrumequinum), and Mouse-eared Bats (Myotis myotis). My first glimpse of European bats!

  A horseshoe bat (not sure which species).

 A horseshoe bat wrapped in its wings and sleeping.

 Miniopterus schreibersii!!!


The second cave we visited was much smaller and narrower, but we still saw several bats. Inside the cave there was a slippery step down, and one of the men in the group offered me his hand to help me down. All the men also hold the door open for the women, and even open and close the car doors for them. It’s such an old-fashioned/European thing to do!

After our two cave visits we had dinner in a cute little restaurant in the mountains. The food was delicious! We had chicken schnitzel with ham and some yummy cheese, fries, and rice, and for dessert we had a traditional Hungarian dessert called palacsinta, which is like a crepe filled with nut paste and covered in chocolate sauce and icing sugar. I was already stuffed when that came out, but there’s always room for dessert!

The cute restaurant where we had dinner before mist netting. 

Once we were thoroughly stuffed, we headed off to mist net for bats. We joined several others who had already set up a net in front of a closed-off mine entrance. We waited and waited in the chilly night and finally caught two male Bechstein’s Bats (Myotis bechsteinii). That was definitely the highlight of my day.

 A Bechstein’s Bat (Myotis bechsteinii), my first European bat catch.

Saturday was the official beginning of the conference. It opened with a welcome drink, a.k.a. champagne at 10:00 in the morning. Good thing I had eaten enough breakfast! Then the presentations started. Most of the presenters spoke in English and then someone translated into Hungarian. I was a bit nervous because I had been told there would be no translations, so I had not budgeted translating time into my talk. My talk was the last one before lunch. I was surprisingly not nervous at all, and rather enjoyed having my talk translated. It makes you slow down and gives you time to think about what you are going to say next. I think it went well but I was glad to have it out of the way so I could relax for the rest of the conference.


 
Opening the conference with champagne and bat cookies.

We ate lunch in the student buffet and then drove to Lillafured, a very cute touristy town, to take a guided tour of St. Istvan Cave. Our guide spoke in Hungarian and someone from our group translated into English. The cave was absolutely beautiful. The main chamber had a 20 meter high ceiling and a stunning “waterfall” formation, as well as other cave formations like “cave bacon”, stalagtites, and stalagmites. In one chamber was a pond called the “Wishes Pond.” I couldn’t understand what the translator was saying, and thought he said Fishes Pond, and then Vicious Pond, before I realized he was saying Wishes Pond. Ahh the joys of English! St. Istvan Cave is used as a therapeutic cave for bronchitis patients. The park and the local hospital have a partnership and patients are brought into the cave twice a day for therapy. The environment inside the cave is perfect for bronchitis patients: the air is cool with nearly 100% humidity and no dust or particles. What an interesting therapy! Six species of bat use St. Istvan Cave. Apparently the White-nose Syndrome fungus (Geomyces destructans) has been found on bats in this cave. Yikes. I definitely won’t be wearing anything I had on in any other caves!

 In St. Istvan Cave.

On the way home from the cave we stopped at an ice cream place in Diosygor, which in the summer has about 70 flavors and apparently has the best ice cream in Hungary. I got the flavor that was voted/chosen the best flavor in Hungary: apple and poppy seed. It had chunks of what tasted like apple pie in a vanilla base, plus poppy seeds. Very very delicious! 

  So many flavors to choose from!

Our final activity of the evening was a DVD about the bats in the region. It was in Hungarian so I had no idea what they were saying, but the videos of the bats were amazing (one video showed a mother Horseshoe bat giving birth upside-down, and another showed an older pup hanging from its mother’s fur and grooming itself). After the DVD I went with Sándor and a couple from Austria into Miskolc to get dinner. We ate at a nice restaurant with traditional Hungarian food. The most expensive thing on the menu was about AUD$16, and what I got (soup with a baguette and onion rings) was about AUD$4. Nice! We had a great conversation about bats (of course) and then headed back to the university.

Today we listened to the poster presentations and then had the closing celebration, with an assortment of Hungarian and French finger food. I had a wonderful time at the conference, and enjoyed getting to know everyone. It was a small conference, with about 30 people in total. The others were from Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Germany, and Transylvania. I was the only one from outside Europe. Today when we were all saying our goodbyes, one of the others asked me what had drawn me to a small conference in Hungary all the way from Australia. I replied that I saw it as a great opportunity to meet some European bat researchers and see what kind of research is going on in the area (and also to travel to a new place!). I would not have been able to attend without the help of the Cybec Foundation, which provided a small grant to cover the costs of attending, so I must give them a big “Thank You.” After attending this conference, I have become even more interested in attending a conference that focuses on ecosystem services and bats and incorporates social sciences and policy. I’m going to have to see if there are any conferences coming up that I could possibly attend!

  Just to prove I was actually at the conference.

Note: Hungarians drive on the right side of the road. I have learned that only a few countries drive on the left side. So to all those who have told me that Americans are crazy for driving on the right, you are wrong. Most of the world does drive on the right!

Several Hungarian words I have learned:
Hi = szia
Thank you = köszonöm
Twenty (my room number at the university) = húsz

 




No comments:

Post a Comment