Monday, October 1, 2012

Bat Searching in Churches, Caves, and Mines

My Hungary adventure is over. I returned to Adelaide on Friday (WAY too early in the morning) and have been relaxing at Chris’ place until heading back to Naracoorte and real life tomorrow. Today is a good blogging day since Chris is busy working on a uni assignment and once we go back to Naracoorte I’ll be quite busy (with the Friends of Parks forum coming up this weekend, having to find someone to buy my car, finishing writing reports for my project, etc.).

The last part of my time in Hungary was amazing, despite getting a nasty cold after the first day of poking around dusty, guano-filled church attics. Sándor and I spent Monday and Tuesday driving around the national park and surrounding area to look for bat colonies in known roosts as part of the park’s bat monitoring program. Unfortunately we were a little late in the season to see many bats (usually in some of the church attics there can be 2,000 bats of up to six species (Greater Horseshoe Bats (Rhinolophus ferrumequinum), Lesser Horseshoe Bats (Rhinolophus hipposideros), Mediterranean Horseshoe Bats (Rhinolophus euryale), Geoffroy’s Bats (Myotis emarginatus), Greater Noctule Bats (Nyctalus lasiopterus), and Serotine Bats (Eptesicus serotinus)) but we did see some. One of the churches we visited was 800 years old. There was such a contrast between the beautiful original artwork in the main part of the church and the smelly, guano-filled attic. The whole time I was in Hungary I couldn’t get over my amazement at the history of the country and the places I visited. That church was over 500 years older than the entire United States of America. The US (and Australia) doesn’t have that kind of history. It still amazes me.

Another of the churches had a large spotlight that shined on the front of the church at night (for aesthetic reasons). Unfortunately it shined right on the hole where the bats emerge at night, and during this maternity season Sándor observed that the bats were afraid of the light and came out later in the evening when the light was on. Most of the insects the bats feed on are most active right after sunset, so the bats missed the optimal feeding time and therefore didn’t get as much food as bats in other roosts, which in turn affected the food (milk) available for the pups. Sándor worked with the church staff to keep the light off during the maternity season so that the bat moms can feed well and provide enough milk for their pups. Sándor stressed the importance of building and maintaining close relationships with members of the local community so that conservation efforts can be accomplished more effectively. I couldn’t agree more.

 
A typical rural street in northern Hungary. 

Inside one of the churches we investigated for bats.

An 800-year-old painting in an 800-year-old church.

 An ornate Catholic church.

What lies above (a.k.a. piles of bat guano).

Checking the church attic for roosting bats.

Collecting dead pups so Sandor can determine the pup mortality for this year.

 A Geoffroy's Bat (Myotis emarginatus).
  
Lesser Horseshoe Bats in an abandoned, run-down hunting lodge. The lodge was definitely not an ideal roosting site. 

 More horseshoe bats.

On Monday we also visited Baradla Barlang (Baradla Cave), which is the largest cave in Hungary at 25km long. We spent about 2 ½ hours in the cave looking for bats. We found a few, but again, it’s a bit late in the season and they have moved on to their hibernating roosts. Baradla is an AMAZING cave, probably the most amazing I’ve ever seen. The ceilings are huge! In the main part where we were, there is a small river running through it, although it was dry when we were there. The chamber runs for a long time, and when there is water in the river you can take a boat tour through the cave. The park also holds about six weddings in this part of the cave every year, and I could definitely see why people would want to have a ceremony there!

 Dressed in caving overalls and ready to enter Baradla Cave.

The dark spot in the dried up river is a small boat.

 A fire-bellied toad.


  One of 46 (?) endemic species found only in Baradla Cave.

 I can see why wedding ceremonies are held here! This photo doesn't even do it justice.


 Checking out Baradla Cave.

 There were many of these big spiders hanging out in the exit of the cave.

Sándor was a very good tour guide, as he took me not only to bat sites but also to a few touristy sites. One of these was the largest book in the world, as certified by the Guinness World Records. The book, which covers the history, geography, flora, and fauna of the region, measures 13.71 x 12.36 feet, weighs 3,130 lbs 9 oz, and has 346 pages. It was completed on March 21, 2010. The second largest book is located in Denver, Colorado, and the third largest in Lebanon, or so I was told. Sometimes I think people have too much time on their hands... 

The elderly man who owns the museum also owns an attached paper-making and printing museum, which is functional. He is currently working on making an exact copy of Gutenberg’s Bible using the exact same methods and materials that were used to make the original. He was very enthusiastic about his work and even took us to a private part of his home to show us his old Bible collection. They were beautiful books! 

Sándor and I then had lunch on a hill overlooking the huge national park. It was eerily silent. No noises of cars or planes, no people talking, no birds singing, nothing except for a few crickets chirping. It struck me just how remote the place was. Sándor pointed out a small cluster of houses on a hillside and told me that the population of that town was 11. It did have a mayor and a council, which consisted of five people. Almost the entire population was part of the local government! 


 Standing beside the world's largest book.

 Part of the museum keeper's Bible collection.

 The view from our lunch spot.

On Tuesday I woke up with a sore throat and stuffy nose. I knew what that meant. I’ve gotten colds (or something) several times over the years after being around places filled with bat guano. I knew I was in for an uncomfortable next few days. Despite that, I was excited to continue our tour of the area. Our first stop of the day was a small, crystal clear stream in the nearby village of Jósvafő to see some tiny endemic snails found only in pristine water in that area near the Carpathian Mountains. Because they are so rare, the government has determined a monetary value for the snails so that damage to them/their habitat can be assessed in court cases. Each individual snail is worth 10,000 HUF, or about AUD$43. Wow! 

Some expensive snails!

In on of the church attics we visited we found many old papers that looked like old bibles or some other type of church document. We collected it and took it to the bible guy so he could determine what it was and how old it was. He got really excited when he saw it and went to work straight away trying to find out what it was. He thinks it may be 200 to 300 years old. Wow! When he figures out what it is he’ll let us know, and he’ll acknowledge Sándor and me as the people who discovered it. Cool! 

After that I got a rare opportunity to be in two countries at once. Sándor took me to the border between Hungary and Slovakia, where of course I got a picture. There’s nothing besides the two signs that would indicate that one side of the road is part of one country and the other side is part of another country.

 Standing in two countries at once (Slovakia (on left of picture) and Hungary (on right of picture)!

Our next stop was the Rákóczi Barlang (Rákóczi Cave). We entered through an old mine tunnel, which was quite an eerie experience, like in a horror movie. I can’t even imagine what life was like for the miners in the dark, moist tunnels. Unfortunately the artificial lighting in the cave was undergoing renovation, so we couldn’t see the cave in its full glory. However, even with our small headlamps, I could see just how breathtaking the cave was. It was extremely tall and the walls were covered in “popcorn” formations. At the bottom was a teal-colored lake, 40 meters deep and 120 meters long. Sándor told me about a cave diver who had gotten lost in the water and had (luckily) found a spot where he could sit and breathe. He had to wait five days until he was rescued. I don’t think I’ll be cave diving any time soon! 

After Rákóczi Cave we investigated several other entrances to the mine. Luck was with us, as in one area we found at least 1,000 bats roosting and flying around! Most of them were horseshoe bats, but we saw two Bent-wing Bats (Miniopterus schreibersii). Sándor was very excited about the find since they had never seen Bent-wings in that mine before. He told me they (the people monitoring the caves) would not have made that discovery if I had not been there, since he only checked that mine so I could see it. I’m glad I could help!



 
I felt like I was in a horror movie inside the old mine.

A view of the lake at the bottom of the cave. 


Some of these formations defy gravity and grow horizontally.

 A dead moth covered in water droplets and fungus.

 Crawling into a small mine entrance.

Our last stop was a visitor center in the park, where I saw the first squirrel I’ve seen in over a year! To end the day we stopped at an ice cream stand that Sándor frequents when he has visitors from other countries. Again, the ice cream was delicious! That evening Sándor and his wife (and their four young, energetic kids) had me over for dinner. They shared some Hungarian white dessert wine, called Tokaji (“Wine of Kings, King of Wines”), from a World Heritage region of the country. It was sweet and delicious, although having two (albeit small) glasses on an empty stomach and with a cold was probably not the best idea. His wife wrote out directions for me for the next day in Budapest. My flight was at 8:00pm the next day, and I was getting a ride to the city at 6:00am, so I’d have a bit of time to look around before heading to the airport.

I got pretty much no sleep that night (due to packing, being sick, and nerves) so I was already quite exhausted when I was picked up by Tamás, one of Sándor’s colleagues, at 6:00am. The drive to Budapest took about 3 ½ hours. The speed limit on the highway was 120kph, an upgrade from South Australia’s 110kph. We parked the car on the outskirts of the city and took a train to the Parliament House, where I parted ways with Tamás. After looking around for a bit, I headed on a tram to the Great Market Hall, where I planned to buy a few souvenirs since I had been unsuccessful in my search in Miskolc. I walked around the crowded stalls and shops on the second floor where the souvenirs were (the first floor was mostly food). For the first time in a week I heard people speaking in fluent English! I ended up buying a hand-painted necklace, a Hallohaza porcelain dish (Hallohaza porcelain is a traditional Hungarian porcelain), and a piece of embroidered lace. I ended up with about 1000 HUF of my money leftover, or about AUD$5.00. Perfect! When I got to the airport later, I seriously contemplated spending that last bit of money on a short Thai massage session, but I wanted to save my 1000HUF note as a souvenir, so I resisted. I really could have used that massage though. After looking around the market and buying my souvenirs, I headed straight to the airport instead of exploring the city more, despite the fact that I still had several hours before I had to be at the airport. I was just so darn exhausted. I had gotten little sleep the past few nights, I was at the peak of my cold, and my bag was getting heavier and heavier with every minute. At that point I just wanted to get home. Unfortunately the journey wasn’t so smooth. I was not allowed to check my bag until two hours before my flight, despite being told by another attendant that I should come back at 4:00pm (four hours before my flight) to check it. While waiting I bought a carbonated water drink and it fizzed up all over me and my bag when I opened it. I really wished I had NyQuil or DayQuil so I could dull the cold away for awhile. Fortunately I was able to get window seats for all my flights (I caught a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower when leaving Paris at night!), so I was able to doze a bit. However, I finally experienced what it feels like when your ears don’t pop when descending in a plane. Wow, it hurts. I felt like my body was completely battered during the travel home. I had a massive headache most of the time and my feet and ankles swelled up, a first for me. Two of my flights were delayed about 45 minutes each, so I did a lot of standing around waiting. I also had to check in for my flight from Singapore to Adelaide, where it took about 35 minutes to check in seven people. I must say that from the experiences I’ve had on this trip, non-American or western European airports really need to step up their game. The wait times were often ridiculous!

I FINALLY arrived in Adelaide at 7:00am on Friday and went through immigration and customs (yay, more waiting in lines). Of course by that time I had reached my second wind and was not tired anymore, despite being awake for the majority of the previous 48 hours. My internal clock has been off the past few days and Chris and I have been staying up until 5:00am or so. This will definitely have to change in the next few days, as the program for the Friends of Parks forum this weekend includes several early mornings!

I am glad that I’m home again, although I had such a wonderful time in Hungary. It’s a beautiful country, the food is delicious, and the bats and caves are awesome! Until next time Hungary!

 Parliament House

 The Great Market Hall

 Flying back to Australia.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment