Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Home for the Holidays



Turkey Day is almost upon us! I’m really excited to be home this year to celebrate with my family, although I had a wonderful time celebrating Thanksgiving with my new Fulbright family last year in Canberra. Mmm, I can’t wait for turkey and mashed potatoes (with gravy of course), sweet potatoes, dressing, and my grandma’s delicious pumpkin pie. Bring it on!

I haven’t decided yet when to end this blog. I’ve been thinking I might continue it a bit longer to at least give some updates on life back in the States, but I’m not sure. For now I figured I’d give an update on what I’ve been up during my first two weeks at home for all the folks back in Australia (and anyone else interested).

After the initial shock of moving home wore off, I began to get used to things again. Readjusting has been harder than I thought it would be, but I have a handle on it now. One of the things I enjoy most is being able to pick up the phone and call a friend if I want or need to. It’s amazing how much I missed that while in Australia! I no longer have to schedule a Skype date with my friends for weeks down the road. I can just pick up the phone and call them! What a wonderful thing to be able to do.

Last week my dad had work off so we spent some quality father-daughter time together. We went to the Cincinnati Zoo, which I hadn’t been to in years. It was a nice cool fall day and we were two of about 50 people there. I discovered that I loved the Insect House. I could have sat and watched the ant colonies all day! I also loved watching the Naked Mole Rat colony. They are amazing little animals! We finished our outing with dinner at a Thai restaurant. I actually got something different than, although very similar to, Pad Thai this time!


 Aardvark hanky-panky...

 Giant Fruit Bat!!!


 Nap time for these guys.

 Snack time for this girl.

 Glow-in-the-dark scorpions. So neat!

 Naked Mole Rats, some of my favorite animals at the zoo.


 The ants were amazing to watch.

 Surrounding the queen bee.



 Not quite sure what he was doing, but he seemed pretty content doing it.

 Baby and adult King Penguins.

 Sleeping baby aardvark. Almost nothing is cuter.

 Bennett's Wallaby. Brings back so many good memories!

 The exotic squirrel! I'm still getting used to seeing them running around everywhere.

 My dad and me after a day at the zoo. 

Over the weekend my friend Amanda spent the night. We carried on our tradition of making bruschetta and brie on baguette, followed by watching “The Boondock Saints”. We attended a jewelry party the next day and I got to look at and admire jewelry that perhaps someday I’ll buy. That evening my parents and I headed just over the border to Indiana to have a family dinner at my aunt and uncle’s place. Most of the family was there and it felt like old times. 

On Sunday my mom and I went to the monthly Cadette, Senior, Ambassador Association meeting. CSA is a group for older Girl Scouts to learn leadership skills, plan events, and make friends. I used to be involved in it when I was younger, and was President at one point. This time I attended as an adult advisor. What a change! I loved seeing the girls doing what I used to do. I don’t feel like I’m THAT separated from it all. I’ll be chaperoning at the annual CSA conference as well as presenting a bat workshop there. Should be lots of fun! 

On the job front I did apply for a seasonal position at the Cincinnati Zoo. Although the position is not working with animals (there were no such positions open when I applied) it would still get my foot in the door. I haven’t heard back from them and it’s been a week and a half, so I’m not sure if I should hold my breath. I am also applying for a lab internship at a chemical company where one of my neighbors works. I never imagined I’d end up using chemistry again (it’s been almost four years since I’ve done ANY chemistry!) but it would be good to broaden my scientific experience and learn how the chemical industry works. We’ll see how all that goes.

This weekend my mom and I will put up and decorate the Christmas tree as we have always done the weekend after Thanksgiving. There will be Christmas music and hot chocolate to round out our tradition. Boy I love this time of year! 


  The view from my front porch on a lovely fall day.

  This is next!



No comments:

Post a Comment