Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime



Merry Christmas! Wow, a lot has happened since I last wrote over a month ago! It took me awhile to get into the Christmas mood since it didn’t snow until a few days ago, and even then it only snowed a tiny bit and it melted the next day. Although I didn’t get the white Christmas I was so hoping for, I am very grateful to be home with my family for the holidays and to be able to catch up with my friends.

Speaking of friends, I’ve had a busy past couple weeks hanging out and catching up with friends, both those in town and from far away. Sarah, my roommate from OWU, came from Cleveland to visit two weekends ago. Our weekend consisted of movie time (complete with kettle corn and Cheeze-Its), a visit to the Krohn Conservatory and their Christmas train display, and clubbing. I made a REALLY stupid mistake and took my special Australian ring off in the bathroom of the club and forgot to put it back on. By the time I realized I wasn’t wearing it and ran back down to the bathroom it was gone. What a bummer! I always try to see the good in people, but this just really angered me. If I had found something like that in a club (or anywhere) it would NEVER have crossed my mind to take it for myself. I just can’t believe someone would do that! I’m hoping I can get another ring made by the same lady who made the original (the paleontologist who works at Naracoorte Caves). 

Sarah opening one of my Christmas gifts: Tim Tams from Australia! 

 My first ever phone booth!

 At the Krohn Conservatory.

 Orchids! Brings back so many memories of hiking and camping with Cath in South Australia. 

After Sarah’s visit I had another exciting adventure with my friend Amanda, who luckily lives here in Cincinnati so I can spend lots of time with her while here! We had a girls’ night out at Paint By the Glass, a place in town where you can go and take a painting “class” complete with appetizers and wine. Each session they have a specific painting for the night, and the instructor gives step-by-step instructions on how to make it. It’s a great time and you get a cool painting out of it!  

At my first Paint By the Glass session with Amanda. 

I spent the supposed End of the World with my friend Lauren, who came from Cleveland to visit for the weekend (while on break from grad school at Cornell). I took Lauren to Paint By the Glass for a surprise, and we had a fantastic time. I feel so creative when I’m there!  

12:21 on 12/21, a numerical palindrome, BWOOP BWOOP!

 With Lauren at my SECOND Paint By the Glass session. 

The next day we went to a coffee shop to work (although we ended up not doing much work!), spent a few hours shopping, had a DELICIOUS dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant about 15 minutes from my house (I FINALLY found another Ethiopian place that matches the one up in Columbus!) followed by dessert at Graeter’s ice cream, and then went karaoking with my friends Khori and Tara from high school. I hadn’t seen Tara in over five years, and it was great to catch up! Lauren and I sang “Wagon Wheel” by Old Crow Medicine Show, and unfortunately we were one of the first groups to go, before everyone was liquored up. I must admit that we were by far the worst singers of the whole night. Ah well, I still had fun!   

Mmm, Ethiopian food!

 Out for a night of karaoke with Lauren, Tara, Khori, and Cedric. 

The next night we all went dancing at a local club, where supposedly they were going to be playing Christmas tunes but (thankfully) weren’t. This was the same club at which I lost my Australian ring when I was out with Sarah, but I was able to put that behind me and have a blast.

 Christmas dancing! 

Last night was Christmas Eve. It was great to be home and to be part of the family celebration again. My family gathered at my grandparent’s house for dinner and presents. A few years ago we decided to switch from everyone giving gifts to everyone else to each person choosing one person (we choose names out of a hat) to give a gift to. My cousin Jen had my name, and she gave me a beautiful stone and bead necklace that she made herself, and a scarf that my aunt knitted. We also did our traditional “white elephant” gift exchange, from which I got a funny glass flamingo ornament with broken legs. It was my nephew Ryan’s first Christmas. I, and the rest of the family, enjoyed oohing and ahhing over him. What a great evening (despite one of my uncles griping that there was no pie for dessert this year)!   

The gorgeous necklace my cousin Jen made for me. 

Today was Christmas Day. This morning my whole family gathered at my aunt and uncle’s house for Christmas breakfast, and then this evening everyone came over to our house for dinner. Mmm, SO MUCH GOOD FOOD: sticky buns, French toast, broccoli soup, mashed potatoes with onions and leaks, green bean casserole, grilled salmon (and ham and roast beef), coleslaw, sweet potatoes, pudding shots, my Nana’s recipe burnt sugar cookies, my mom’s “slug cookies”, and so much more! I got some wonderful gifts, including a bat Christmas stocking, a cave t-shirt, a bat bandana, the Mouse King from The Nutcracker, a soft faux fur scarf, some DVDs (Crazy, Stupid Love; The King’s Speech; and Inception), and a Christmas pickle ornament. Thanks everyone!

  With my dad, mom, brother, sister-in-law, and baby nephew on Christmas Day.

  A bat stocking!

  Ryan is getting so big (about 2 1/2 months old now)! 

Now that Christmas is over I’m looking ahead to the New Year. I have exciting news on the job front: on January 2 I will be starting a full-time job/co-op position as an R&D Chemist with a chemical company here in Cincinnati. It’s DEFINITELY not what I thought I’d be doing when I got back from Australia (and I never imagined I’d touch chemistry again!) but it will be a good experience to broaden my science skills and learn how the chemical industry works. I plan to apply for jobs more related to my expertise (like at the Cincinnati Zoo and/or local parks) once positions open up for the summer. Until then, wish me luck with remembering all my chemistry skills! 

I may continue this blog a little longer to give updates on how my new job goes, but I’m not quite sure when/how to end it. Should I keep writing next year? At what point should I stop? Any suggestions/ideas from my readers or fellow bloggers would be great.

P.S. We’re supposed to get several inches of snow tonight/tomorrow, so at least I’ll get a white day-after Christmas!


 



 














No comments:

Post a Comment