Saturday, January 5, 2013

From Night Shift to Day Shift



I have completed my first week at my new “real”, full-time job! I can no longer follow my natural bat-like schedule, and I now rise with (actually before) the sun and go to bed by 10:00pm. I feel like an old person!

I am now working as a lab “intern” in the R&D lab of a local chemical company, the Shepherd Chemical Company. I will be working with inorganic and carboxylate metal chemicals. I’ll be learning more about my responsibilities next week, but I do know that I’ll be running experiments and taking chemical inventory of the lab. The first three days I went through general training with two new chemical engineering co-op students who are in college. There are several other engineering co-ops working near my lab, so hopefully I’ll be able to get to know them a bit better, although it might be a bit hard since my desk is in my lab and not in their “cubicle” area. They are the closest people to my age who I’ve met so far, so I do hope I’ll be able to talk with them more!

I’m definitely the “odd one out” at work. Everyone has been quite intrigued when they learn that I am a Zoology major and study bats. One of the ladies who came in to speak with us during training said (after I introduced myself), “Word has gotten around that we have a zoologist with us now!” I’m not used to being in an environment where I stand out due to my background!

During training we watched several safety DVDs, learned about the history of the company and the products it makes, walked around the chemical plant, got fit tested for respirators (both half and full face), and learned how to access the computer system. We received binders full of information, which I asked if I was allowed to take home to read. The trainer looked at me in a kind of surprised way and said I could read it at work and get paid to read it if I wanted, but that I could take it home if I wanted. I realized then just how unaccustomed I am to a regular 9-to-5 type job. It’s such a foreign concept to me to NOT work at home. I’ve always worked at home, whether it was during high school, college, or on my Fulbright in Australia. I’d rather read the binder at home and go into work next week prepared than spend time at work to read it. To not do that seems “wrong”. I’m not sure if I’ll ever get used to that way of doing things...

Despite the fact that chemistry is not my area of expertise, I am looking forward to starting my lab work next week and meeting the other R&D folks. It should be interesting!

I have also begun training to volunteer at the Cincinnati Zoo as a Volunteer Educator and with the CREW (Conservation and Research of Endangered Wildlife) department. Every Saturday for the next month I’ll be attending training sessions, and will eventually be interacting with zoo visitors to educate them about the animals. I also hope to get involved with CREW. I’m really excited to get involved with the zoo again. I volunteered and then worked there through high school, so it will be great to get back. That way I’ll be able to continue my work with animals and conservation while working as a chemist!

No comments:

Post a Comment