Saturday, October 8, 2011

A House Visitor

I saw my first Redback Spider (Latrodectus hasselti) the other day! She was hanging out along the ceiling in the bathroom, starting to make a web. According to the Australian Museum website, "Only the female bite is dangerous. They can cause serious illness and have caused deaths. However, since Redback Spiders rarely leave their webs, humans are not likely to be bitten unless a body part such as a hand is put directly into the web, and because of their small jaws many bites are ineffective." Don't worry, I didn't stick my hand in the web, but I did get a few pictures before I collected her in a cup and took her outside, far away from the house.
 Female Redback Spider in my bathroom (Latrodectus hasselti)

I also had a close encounter with a Huntsman Spider (I'm not sure which species). I was finishing a census at night and was reaching for the power box to turn off the electricity when I saw a HUGE spider sitting right on the handle. It startled me to death! It did not like my light so it immediately scurried off and tried to hide. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me, but this picture from the Queensland Museum website gives a good approximation, although I'm not sure if the Grey Huntsman Spider occurs in South Australia:
A Grey Huntsman Spider (Holconia immanis) from Queensland (No, that's not my finger.)

Huntsman Spiders are the "tarantulas." These guys are not really dangerous, although their bites can be painful. I'll just have to be watch out where I stick my hands from now on!


4 comments:

  1. So you essentially just saw a black widow and a tarantula... and the word you use is 'startled'. How about 'freaked out' or 'pissed my pants'?? Holy crap! You be crazy gurl!

    And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Your first birthday abroad! Have an amaaaaazing day, and show those Aussies how Americans party it up! Love you, and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, my mom told me after orienteering this weekend that you also have a Fulbright!! Congrats! I'm off on mine in Cusco, Peru. And like you I have a blog to follow my adventures in weaving and natural dyeing (and just Peru in general). Check it out: www.katievota.blogspot.com

    Hope your project is going well,
    Katie Vota

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen,

    don't worry too much about the huntsmen. They are all over the place. When I see one in my house, I think of all the good work they do getting rid of cockroaches and other undesirable insects.

    They usually freeze when you put the light on and don't move until you switch it off. I have happily slept with one on my bedroom wall several times, and have been known to share a shower recess with one. Haven't been bitten yet, but I don't push my luck. It's a matter of "live and let live". The bird-eating spiders of the Queensland and Northern Territory tropics are much bigger!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I wasn't scared of them, just startled. They are pretty neat and I enjoy seeing new wildlife.

    And Katie, my mom told me about your Fulbright. That's so amazing! I will definitely keep up with your blog, especially because our projects and locations are so different. I am having a blast here and I hope you are too in Peru!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete