Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Noteworthy Accomplishment

I cooked my first meal in Australia! To many this may seem like a minor accomplishment, if even that. For me, it’s a big deal. As a recent college graduate who lived in a dorm the whole time, I have had little need to actually cook for the past four years. In school I usually subsisted on meals from the Smith Hall dining room or the Ham-Wil cafeteria, or sometimes frozen meals from the Thomson campus store. If I was lucky my roommates and I would pick up some Chipotle from the newly-built store in Delaware. Since coming to Australia I have lived on mainly turkey sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, muesli (like granola), yogurt, and things like that. I’m actually okay with this because I can eat the same thing for quite awhile without getting bored of it. So it was a major step when I turned on my gas oven and made my first meal by myself: pizza! And it wasn’t even a frozen pizza. I bought all the ingredients and put it together myself. Behold the masterpiece:
 A few days later I tried my hand at spaghetti and it turned out pretty well. Nothing fancy but I was still proud. I’m going to try to cook a real meal at least once in awhile so I can feel a little more like a grown up. We’ll see how that goes...

2 comments:

  1. Do not worry. I can cook many fine meals next year. :-) There may be fun culinary surprises when you come home!

    ReplyDelete