Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Haircut and Fire Alarms

Some exciting things have been happening in my life! Little things, but still exciting. The first update is that I got my hair cut! I saw a picture in a magazine of Katie Holmes with shoulder-length hair, and I really liked it. I’d been planning to get my hair trimmed, maybe about one or two inches. When I saw the picture I got this crazy idea: to get mine cut like that! After some careful consideration and online research (looking at pictures of people with shoulder-length hair) I convinced myself that it was time for a change. Plus it’s summer here so it will be getting hot soon and short hair would be great for keeping cool. So I went into one of the hair salons in town on Monday, with picture in hand, and did the deed. I’m quite happy with the result. It feels so light and I keep forgetting that I need a lot less shampoo now!

 My new haircut!

Another view...

And another.

In other “exciting” news, today Chris was heating rice in the microwave (EXACTLY following the directions) and about eight minutes into the 10 minute cooking time, the microwave started smoking out the side. By the time I got to it to turn it off the smoke was pouring out and the fire alarms in the bunkhouse were going off. I stood on the chair waving Chris’s Akubra hat at the smoke detector while Chris opened the microwave. Thick, yellow smoke poured out and I started to choke on it. It actually burned my lungs and my eyes, so much so that I had to go outside to catch my breath and use a wet cloth over my mouth to breathe! We put the fans on and opened the windows, and finally after 10 minutes or so the alarms stopped. Phew! Now there’s a horrible stench permeating the entire bunkhouse. Luckily nobody else is staying in the bunkhouse now, so we didn’t disturb anyone. But it was quite a heart-pounding experience! 

The burnt rice that caused such an uproar. 

Parting shot for all you spider-lovers out there.

1 comment:

  1. We put the fans on and opened the windows, and finally after 10 minutes or so the alarms stopped.Earths Best Pest Control Service

    ReplyDelete