Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Australia, From an American's Perspective


From what I’ve experienced so far, life in Australia is very similar to life in the US. However, there are some things that have struck me as “odd” from an American’s perspective. Here are some cultural tidbits that to me seemed noteworthy:

Voting in Australia is mandatory. If you don’t vote, you will be fined.

When you apply to undergrad, you submit one application to a central place and rank your school choices. You get a rank based solely on your marks (grades), and then a university picks you.  There are no personal essays, interviews, or points for extracurricular activities. Wow!

Everyone asks me if I’m Canadian. Apparently Canadians are offended to be called American, so people just err on the side of caution.

Sessions of Australian Parliament are like verbal bashing sessions! I was lucky enough to get to sit in on one of these sessions, and I heard phrases such as “express my disgust,” “lack of integrity,” “what hypocrites!,” and “he’s incapable” shouted between both parties, accompanied by plenty of finger pointing. Members were also not afraid to interject their opinions while someone else was talking or to mutter among themselves. What an interesting way to run a country...

Vegemite is disgusting! I guess I can never be a true Australian.

You do not tip anybody (waiters, taxi drivers, bartenders, etc.). I found this out the first time I took a taxi when I handed over a nice wad of cash and said “keep the change” to the driver. I didn’t understand why he gave me such a shocked look until later that day when I was told you don’t tip here. Apparently service workers make good wages and don’t need tips to earn a living.

Australian houses are cold! Australians don’t insulate their houses well, and quite a few houses don’t have central heating. I’ve spent most of my two weeks here bundled up in five layers of clothing.

Grocery shopping is hard for a newcomer. While everything is in English, there are so many new names and brands to get used to. Searching for the right kind of yogurt (or “yoghurt”) is quite a challenge!

I know next to nothing about Australian history. When I visited the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, the tour guide occasionally said, “You’ve all heard about...,” and each time I had never heard of what she was talking about. When I’ve visited memorials and museums in the US I’ve always at least been able to say, “Yeah, I’ve heard that name before” or “I kind of know about that.” That’s not the case here. I have never once learned about Australian anything in school. Who knew that Japan bombed Darwin, Australia during World War II, or that Australian beaches were lined with barbed wired during the war? I sure didn’t.
Having a “partner” is much more common here than in the US. Many people I’ve met have been with their partners for many years and even have kids but are not married. I feel like there isn’t the same social expectation to marry here.

Cadbury chocolate is sold EVERYWHERE (vending machines, checkout lines, etc). I love it!

You have to stand on the left side of the escalator to let people pass. I learned that the hard way when I was almost barreled over by a woman in a hurry.

Wildlife carers paint pink crosses on roadkill kangaroos/other marsupials so people know they’ve been checked for a baby in the pouch.

Australians love their tea! Any break is an excuse to have tea. I do love this tradition but sometimes I feel like I’m going to float away.

Australians can be quite blunt, as evidenced by the following road signs posted by the transportation department to warn people of the dangers of drinking and driving (the first three of which I have personally seen):
                                                       - “Don’t drive like a


                                                                                                                 - “Don’t drive like a 
             
(knob is slang for a particular part of the male anatomy)

                                                                     
                             - “Don’t drive like a W

            







            - “Drive drunk and die”
            - “Drink and drive and die in a ditch”           

And now for some American to Australian word conversions:
            - float (like a root beer float) = spider
- cookie = biscuit
- biscuit = no translation. The Australians I’ve talked to have no idea what an American biscuit could be. My conversion for them = “delicious”
- raisins = saltanas
- granola bar = muesli bar
- barbeque = sausage sizzle
- yebi = crayfish
- shrimp = prawn
- liquor store = bottle shop
- drunk = pissed
- take out = take away
- McDonald’s = Mackers (pronounced “Mackas”)
- “My turn” (to pay for something) = “My shout”
            - fanny pack = bum bag or waist pouch (DO NOT say fanny under any 
              circumstances!)
- light bulb = globe
- battery died = battery went flat
- gasoline = petrol
- tire = tyre
- elevator = lift
            - to call = ring up
            - pharmacist = chemist
            - dorm = college
            - college = university (Uni)
            - poke fun at = take a dig at
            - underwear/boxers = jocks
            - You’re screwed = You’re stuffed
            - to root for (a team...) = something quite inappropriate

Okay, time to go do some work. Or maybe head to the sausage sizzle and eat some yebis and have a spider...
           



7 comments:

  1. Wow, I feel like there is a lot of similarity between Australia and Sri Lanka! Cadbury chocolate is everywhere in Sri Lanka, they too love their tea, and they also eat vegemite which I agree is the most foul thing! Lizzie, the other researcher in Sri Lanka, was from the UK and she warned me about fanny pack...means quite a different thing. Also, she would giggle everytime I said 'pants' because I guess in British English that means underwear...have you run into that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, no I don't think pants means underwear here. At least I hope not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen,

    "pants" means "trousers" here (Australia). I was in Atlanta and South Carolina last year, and a "biscuit" there was what we call a scone (pronounced "skon"). The Brits also say something is “pants” if it’s not very good - I have no idea where this came from!

    Thanks for the US/Oz translations! I'm an editor and a traveller and love these linguistic differences. The food differences are fun, too.

    I copyedited a previous edition of Sue Churchill's book on Australia bats - heaps of fun!

    We have microbats and big colonies of flying foxes near where I live in northern New South Wales. I love hearing their screeching at night up the back of my property.

    Good luck with the research - I'll be reading your blog with interest. (P.S. Not all Aussies like Vegemite - but I do!)

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joy,
    Thanks for the tidbits of information! The "pants" thing is good to know so I won't be confused if I hear it.

    I'm going to order a copy of Sue Churchill's book, as it looks fantastic. It will be my first Australian bat book!

    I hope you enjoy the blog. I will definitely keep everyone posted about how my research goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raisins here are raisins LOL...sultana's are sultanas.

    enjoyable read...keep up the blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to read your writing and the experiences. paraphrasing au

    ReplyDelete
  7. My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com) You can also whatsApp them at: at +44-75967-81743 (WhatsApp Only) .. and inform them Leah Brown addressed to you ..

    ReplyDelete