Monday, September 12, 2011

One echidna, two echidna, three echidna?

I saw my first echidna today! Actually, my first two. I was taking a walk on the Stoney Point trail, about a mile from my place, and I heard some rustling in the grass along the river. I stopped and waited to see what it was, and right before me ambled out an echidna! He was going about his business seemingly oblivious to the fact that I was standing only feet away. I quietly pulled out my camera and snapped some pictures to document the momentous occasion. Little did the echidna know but he had just made my day! He continued on his merry way along the river with one of the funniest gaits I've seen in an animal. It was like watching a mat of prickly spines wobble from side to side across the ground.

Later in the afternoon, around 4:30pm, I was walking to the park visitor center down the little dirt "road" connecting my bunkhouse area to the main part of the park, and what did I see? ANOTHER echidna in the middle of the path! Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me this time, but I did stop to watch him root around in the dirt and tear at the roots. I was tempted to poke him, just to see what he felt like, but thought better of it. He sauntered off with a dirt-covered nose and I continued on my way, thrilled that I had seen two echidnas in one day.

Echidna: check. Kangaroo: check. Wallaby: check. Platypus, (live) wombat, and koala: still on the prowl.

2 comments:

  1. Confession: I did poke one. Gently. I couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, did it spook? I think next time I might just do it. I hear if you want to catch one you have to grab it by its back legs so it can't dig so well. And I hear their belly fur is really soft...

    ReplyDelete