Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A funny thing happened on the way to the store...

I headed to town today to get some groceries, and decided to pop into the bank to see if they had received my debit card yet (they said it would take 7-10 business days and it has now been 9, so I figured I’d check since I was there anyway). The teller took my information and began to look through the computer files to see what the status of the card was. We chatted a little, the kind of polite conversation you have while waiting for something. Then she said something that immediately piqued my interest. We had been talking about the caves at the park where I’m living, and she mentioned that she and her Guide group have been there. I stopped her and asked if she meant Girl Guides, which is part of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS). She said she has a troop of 20 girls, aged 8 to 14. I told her that I’ve been a Girl Scout since kindergarten and that I’ve been interested in helping out with a local troop but I didn’t know where to look for information. My spur of the moment decision to pop into the bank had landed me right at a troop leader’s counter! We exchanged contact information and she seemed very excited about the idea of me helping out, and she even said they could pick me up at the park to come to meetings/outings until I get my own car. So hopefully I’ll be able to start getting involved with the local troop soon and continue my involvement with Girl Scouts/Guides!

No comments:

Post a Comment