Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Hi, my name is Krusty. Why yes, I do have an accent!

Three important "updates":

1. My new nickname is Krusty. It was affectionately bestowed upon me when I arrived at Naracoorte Caves Park and I want to make it clear that I did absolutely nothing to earn it! But I've never had a nickname, so I guess it's about time for one.

2. I am a foreigner. This is a fact I keep forgetting. It's very easy to forget, since I don't look physically different from most Australians and everything here is in English. I have been specifically reminded of my foreigner status on two occasions since getting here. Once was last night when I was out at Bat Cave taking a census. A school group came through (probably early high school) and one of the girls asked me bluntly, "Do you have an accent?" Why yes I do! The other time was at the Fulbright Enrichment Dinner in Canberra. I was talking with two young women from Canberra and they kept asking questions about the US. They said it was great to be able to talk to someone from America. It hit me that I really am an “ambassador” for the US, which is both exciting and daunting. I definitely feel like I should be more up-to-date on current events in the US, but it feels almost like I'm in a bubble here.

3. I have finally arrived at my new home: Naracoorte Caves National Park. My flat is pretty sweet, with a nice kitchen and main room/bedroom. I almost feel like a grown-up with my own place! Almost. It does seem kind of empty here with no roommates, whom I really miss. The fridge is so big for just one person's food, the cupboards are nearly bare, and it's awfully quiet by myself (unless there's a school group or other people staying in the bunkhouse). I have noticed myself trying to keep things clean and tidy because for some reason I want it to look nice for when all my non-existent Australian friends come over. We'll see how long the tidiness lasts. Also, I have the use of a "mule" for work purposes (it's a glorified golf cart). So now I have a bat mobile!

So to recap, I, Krusty, am a foreigner with a bat mobile. Beware! ^v^

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, now you don't have to negotiate with someone over how much yogurt you can stuff in your fridge! We used to have a mule at camp (not an animal, the same kind you have, lol), and that thing is a boss...underestimate it at your peril! I think I'll just stick to calling you Kristen, if you don't mind. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to have unlimited use of the fridge, but it still feels so empty! I really enjoyed our communal lifestyle. It's just not quite the same...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, at first I thought you had a real, live mule and I was so jealous! Haha...ah but I guess a golf cart is sorta nifty too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorta nifty?! It's awesome! I can whiz around the park with all my gear and go bat watching! That's what I do for fun here. :)

    ReplyDelete