Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Melbourne Cup

Today I got to experience one of Australia’s important national events: the Melbourne Cup. This horse race is Australia’s major Thoroughbred horse race and is called “the race that stops a nation” because most people will stop what they’re doing to watch/listen to the race. I went into the park office to join others in watching it. Unfortunately they didn’t have the TV there anymore, so we settled in beside the radio to listen. I was kind of bummed at first that I wouldn’t be able to actually see it, but once I started listening to the announcers in the buildup to the start my heart started racing and it didn’t matter that I couldn’t actually see anything. I picked horse #3, Dunaden, to win simply because 3 is my lucky number. A little after 2:30 they were off, and I listened as the announcers got more and more enthusiastic and fast-talking as the race progressed. Even though I had no real stake in the outcome, I still got really excited and into it. My horse, Dunaden, came out victorious, although by the closest margin in the 151 years of the race (they had to call it by a photograph). I should have made some bets!

Speaking of national events, it’s weird because there’s a whole new set of holidays and traditions to learn over here. Yesterday was Halloween, and while a few people celebrate it in Australia, it’s not a big holiday like it is in the US. Plus living in the park in a rural area makes me feel a little less “in touch” with what’s going on in the rest of the country. While the Melbourne Cup is a big deal here, if Cath hadn’t mentioned it to me today I would have completely forgotten about it. I’m glad she said something because I want to participate in as many Australian traditions as possible while here!

No comments:

Post a Comment