Friday, November 4, 2011

My New Car!

I finally bought a car! One of the Girl Guide leaders I’m working with had a friend who was selling her car for a price that was within my (very limited) budget. When I first got to Australia, I thought it would be relatively easy to find a cheap, used car to get me through the year. Turns out things are a tad more expensive here compared to the US, so my low budget (which would have been fine in the US) limited me to mostly dodgy cars that were probably best to stay away from. I lucked out with this find and no longer have to borrow the park guide vehicle after-hours or rely on other peoples’ schedules to get groceries in town or run errands.

I am now a proud owner of a white 1995 Mitsubishi Lancer Executive. It’s a tiny little automatic sedan, with do-it-yourself everything, including crank down windows, side mirrors you have to adjust with a knob, and locks you have to use a key to open. It’s quite a step down from my Subaru Outback at home, which has automatic locks and windows, heated seats, two sunroofs, etc. I actually kind of like that. It's kind of refreshing to have to do everything yourself, and I think it adds character to the car. Also, I actually own this car, whereas my dad owns the Subaru at home. For some reason that little detail makes me much more conscious of and invested in my car. As much as having to pay insurance, registration, etc. stinks, it does give me a better sense of responsibility and makes me proud to be a car owner! 


I still sometimes catch myself getting into the left side to drive when I’m not paying attention.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen- I came across your blog on the Australian Fulbright page. I'm in the US until June- I've been living in Wyoming and driving here for 5 months, and I still walk around to the wrong side of the car! Flicking on the windscreen wipers instead of the indicators during my driving test was another fine moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathryn!
    Great to hear from you! It is weird to get used to driving on the left. I think the hardest part was parking, because I wasn't used to having so much car to the left of me.

    How are you enjoying Wyoming? I've never been out that way but I hear it's beautiful country. I hope you're having fun on your Fulbright so far and that your research is going well!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, congratulations on your new ride, Kristen. It's obviously far different from your luxurious Subaru, but this one must be more meaningful for you. Well, sometimes it's also good for us to come out of our comfort zone - it makes us more responsible and teaches us to value even the smallest things.

    Erwin Calverley

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Lancer is not a bad choice. In fact, it looks well-maintained and working. From the looks of it, the previous owner must have done a pretty good job taking care of it. And I do agree with your point. Having your own vehicle gives you a sense of responsibility. Since you worked hard for this one, you will do everything to keep it in good condition.

    -Sebastian Gaydos

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister’s car is also a Mitsubishi Lancer, and she has had it for about seven years now. She bought it from a friend and it’s still in good working condition. Well, I think the life of the car still depends on the owner, depends on how she takes care of it. If you really want to have your car with you for a long time, you will have to do your very best to give the proper maintenance that it needs. So, how’s your car, Kristen? I hope you and your car are having wonderful moments together! :D

    Stelle Courney

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it's a bit late, but congratulations on your new car. The 1995 Mitsubishi Lancer Executive is labeled as one of the affordable and reliable cars around. Yeah, it takes quite some time to be fully adjusted to DIY car stuff. Hehe. But I'm sure you'll get used to it pretty soon.


    -Carson Wininger

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stelle and Carson,
    Thanks for the comments. The car is doing well (after an accident with a kangaroo back in January or so). I'll be sad to see it go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I really have to agree with Stelle. It’s really possible to keep your car for 10, 15 or even 20 years if you really know how to take good care of it. We have had our car for about fourteen years now, and it never failed us, especially during our long road trips. The credit must be given to my husband as he really thinks of our car as one of our children! ;)

    Nettie Christensen

    ReplyDelete