Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Much to be Thankful For

I have spent my first big American holiday away from home. Thanksgiving was last week, and instead of spending it with my whole family in Cincinnati, Ohio, I spent it with fellow U.S. Fulbright Scholars in Canberra, Australia. It was my first major holiday away from my home and family (excluding New Year’s Eve of my sophomore year in high school when I spent a week canoeing in the Florida Everglades with Girl Scouts), and I missed the familiar smells of Grandma’s home cooking and the company of my family. However, I was excited to travel to Canberra to spend the weekend with fellow Americans who were as eager as I was for a bit of home (Australians don’t celebrate Thanksgiving). Luckily, one of the 2010-2011 Fulbright Scholars who was preparing to leave Australia invited us to her place for a Thanksgiving dinner cooked by her mom. Krysten’s family usually has traditional Italian food for Thanksgiving (as they have deep Italian roots) but her mom kindly agreed to also cook some “traditional” Thanksgiving fare like stuffing, corn, and potatoes. We also had a turkey, and this turkey was definitely the most creatively-cooked bird I’ve ever had: one of the Fulbright Scholars who does glass working cooked it in the university’s kiln! By the time dinner rolled around I was starving and watering in the mouth, just like it should be. And let me tell you, all the food was absolutely DELICIOUS! The turkey was succulent and amazingly tasty and Krysten’s mom’s lasagna was fabulous. While we didn’t have a traditional pumpkin pie for dessert, we did have yummy apple crisp and a trifle that one of our Australian guests made. I also brought along some homemade fudge (my third batch. Rosie has inspired me!) which was a big hit. It felt like Thanksgiving in Ohio, as it had been raining all day and it was a bit chilly out. While I did miss spending the holiday with my family, it was great to catch up with the other Scholars and spend the evening with my new family here in Australia. To add to the awesomeness of the night, I met a guy who was a contestant on “Letters and Numbers,” an Australian game show I sometimes watch. How cool is that? I also got to take home a pretty white table cloth and a Thanksgiving table runner that Krysten was giving away. Now I’ll have some Thanksgiving decorations for my house/apartment when I actually get one! And I got two Christmas ornaments, which will go on the little tree I plan to get for my room here. I definitely made off like a bandit!

 Our Thanksgiving feast!

 
My Fulbright family (plus some Aussie guests)

To top off the weekend, on Saturday I went to the Foreshore Festival in town with Lee and Marvin, two other Scholars. The day was full of heart-pounding, dance-inspiring music and the crowd was there to have a good time. I have never been to a legitimate concert like this one, complete with shoulder-sitting (don’t worry, not me), crowd surfing, and mosh pits. I have also never seen so many ripped guys in tight tank tops and tight walking shorts/capris, or so many girls wearing practically nothing. All of which was completely acceptable here. Of course the day wouldn’t have been complete without a bit of rain. Well, more like a downpour. I’m glad I went and was able to get that taste of Australian culture.

Wild and crazy times at Foreshore listening to LMFAO

Me, Marvin, and Lee ready to get our groove on.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that Thanksgiving feast looks terrific!!! Sounds like a great holiday...wish I could have gotten my groove on with you :)

    ReplyDelete